Fear and trepidation stop us from doing new things. Sure, you might fail. But if you don’t start, you’ll never succeed, either. We talk about how you get yourself ready to try something new, failure or not.
- Tay Zondayis our hero.
- The Light Saber Kid is the best
- Jenny could not fully watch the Michael Bay onstage meltdown, that’s how painful it is.
- The Room is the worst movie ever, by Tommy Wiseau
- “Perfect is the enemy of the good” is not Voltaire. Jenny failed.
- “Kingdom of Noise” is a documentary about Japanese noise bands from the early 1990s.
THINGS WE LIKE
Paul: Audio Hijack Pro
It’s our first metal makeover! Jay likes noise and experimental music, and we try to find him metal that makes him feel how he wants to feel when he listens to metal.
- Larks’ Tongues in Aspic is a King Crimson album
- Jay came to us loving Godflesh, Skinny Puppy, & Throbbing Gristle
- Jenny likes Celtic Frost
- John Zorn does saxophonic metal as Painkiller
- Danzig making the face that explains the emotional state Jay wants
- Jay loooooves Swans
- Both of us considered SunO)))
- Nixies are pretty
- House of Low Culture
- Kayo Dot
- Locrian – A Visitation From the Wrath of Heaven
- Earth – Tibetan Quaaludes
- Black Boned Angel – The Witch Must Be Killed
- Burning Witch
- Corrections House
- Panzram Division
- Dillinger Escape Plan
- Pallbearer – An Offering of Grief
- Whourkr – Bone Injection
- Shining – Madness & the Damage Done
THINGS WE LIKE
Jenny: Nick’s Sticks
Paul: LED lights
Jay: Flemish Carbonade
In which we do our first video hangout over Google Hangouts. Are you sick of all this Paul & Jenny agreement and harmony? Well then this show is FOR YOU! Jenny thinks you’re a sucker if you’re not skeptical of The Man, and it’s your responsibility to figure out if your ideal gig will likely make you money. Paul thinks people should not be forced by their workplace to feel as if they should be volunteering extra hours on the job because they’re lucky to have a job they love.
- Do What You Love, Love What You Do
- Want to know more about Marx’s False Conciousness?
- Quit it with Tom Scharpling as guest
- The Nerdist frequently talks about the internet making creative people free to create whatever they want.
- Jenny is not a Randist
- Cyrus Pireh, of Piano Anarchy, is a previous guest.
- Dischord Records has been criticized for being too rich
THINGS WE LIKE
Cast iron cookware and high temperature oils. Paul favors safflower & grapeseed oil, Jenny coconut and lard/rendered animal fats.
Are you in a cult? Now of course you’re going to say no, but we’re talking Paleo, Crossfit, P90X, or other exxxxxtreme “health” and diet resolutions that force you to change your life completely. Small changes incrimentally have been shown time and time again to be more effective, and they SEEM easier but why aren’t they for most people? Answer: because doing the right thing is hard to brag about on facebook.
These show notes written while Jenny ate pizza, which is definitely not paleo.
- In 2013 everyone moved to portland.
- Where’s the Portland of 10 or 20 years from now? Leave a comment & let us know!
- Jack White’s Paramount Box Set is on Amazon with funny reviews.
- Jack White was interviewed on Charlie Rose & no one combed his hair.
- Rent is too damn high
- Libertarians moving to New Hampshire project
- Paul’s appearance on The Wolf Den
- Jenny loves the Inland Empire
- Lift iphone app
- The Quantified Self
- The Quantified Diet
- Perfection procrastination
- Binge watching is good for you?
- Weight Watchers
- Jake Fogelnest
- Jenny took this class & you can too! The Science of Willpower
- One Weird Trick Belly Fat ads
- wtf with marc maron with a psychiatrist to the stars!
- If you live in Austin, TX, you should see Jenny’s trainer
- Thinsporation is frightening.
THINGS WE LIKE:
Jenny:Bodbot (website & app)
It turns out Paul thinks having heroes and idols is ruining America.
- Future of Music Summit
- Jill Sobule kissed a girl.
- The Official Accountant of JPSO
- Lizz Winstead created The Daily Show
- WFMU is a good radio station. And they podcast!
- Paul’s report on RadioVision
- Taxonomy Boot Camp is the “big” conference for taxonomists.
- Jenny went to the Laogai Museum in DC, which was great.
- Jenny loves John Munch.
- We discuss the Steve Jobs biography.
- The Wrong Guy is a podcast about how the book is terrible.
- Death Star Contractors is a scene in the movie Clerks.
- Paul is contradicting what he said when Jenny made this point in our Jack White episode.
THINGS WE LIKE:
Jenny: Creative Live
With so many new, independent publishing platforms out there, from YouTube to podcasting, blogging to tumblr, why are people still so consumed with the standards of old media? Do some podcasters just want to get a TV series? Bloggers just want to get a book deal? It’s not about selling out, it’s about controlling your destiny.
But first, we get caught up on everything that’s happened since episode #22, including Jenny’s podcast cruise and Paul’s foray’s into Portland tech conferences.
- Jenny thinks everyone should know about Yakov
- Maximum Fun hosted the Atlantic Ocean Comedy & Music Festival
- Cameron Esposito is the future of comedy!
- Nelly Mckay is great
- Scott Simpson, John Darnielle, & John Roderick hugged Jenny
- Jesse Thorn was well dressed.
- The Bahamas are not the Caribbean, but don’t drink the vodka.
- The JoCo Nerd Cruise is gigantic.
- Marc Maron would go insane on a boat.
- Paul went to MusicFest NW and xoxo
- Bumbershoot is an excellent Seattle music event. Even Jenny thinks so and she doesn’t like Seattle.
- Hopscotch looks fairly cool.
- Comicon is a BIG DEAL
- PAX is the conference by the creators of Penny Arcade.
- Paul was involved in Indymedia. Jenny has been protested by them.
- The Long Tail!
- Squarespace is awesome & we use it (hi Little Ryan!)
- We love That Metal Show
- Howard Stern talks up Snapple
- Paul recommends Radio Unnameable
- Purchase your Internet Killed TV shirts here!
- Amy Goodman is the host of Democracy Now!
- Dave Allen is from Gang of Four
- Shit Your Pants! is a reference to WTF Podcast
THINGS WE LIKE:
Jenny: Welcome to Nightvale (listen in order)
Paul: Aardvark Hot Sauce
What does it mean to be from the midwest? And, where the hell is it anyway? Does Southern Indiana count? Is Chicago the same as Missouri?
These are just some of the penetrating questions we tackle in this episode, joined again by Ellen Knutson, PhD., recorded from a bar in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood.
- Duke of Perth is one of the best scotch bars in America!
- The Wilhelm Scream has been used in basically every movie.
- Jenny is making Merlin Mann in jokes. AGAIN. She can’t help it.