Storytelling nights, Instagrams of everything you did last week, tweeting bowel movements; from these things it’s easy to get the impression that everyone is a special, precious flower. But if we’re all special, then really, nobody is special.
The topic of this episode is specialness, and how the need to be special and treat every thing everyone does as special threatens to lead to a feedback loop of overadulated mediocracy. Our guest for this conversation is Eugenia Williamson, writer and contributing editor to the Baffler. It’s pretty special.
- Radio BDC
- Paul’s Radio World article
- Italians & Germans are not white.
- One Word: Plastics
- Michael Berube’s lecture at MLA
- Hotline Miami
- Genie’s article on storytellers
- The Moth
- Stories from Jonestown
- Punk rock masons article by Genie
- Henry Darger is the inverse.
- Jenny’s Precious Moments slides
- Breakfast with the Beatles
- Four Hour Work Week
- Amanda Palmer
- Millennial Soup is actually pretty delicious according to jenny
- OK Soda
- You’re so fucking special
- Dave Hill Podcasting Incident
- War Games
- Genie on twitter
- We love John Roderick
THINGS WE LIKE