Aside from Paul’s unnatural affinity for Kip Winger, would you have any idea that he and Jenny are both metalheads? (Please, no arguments about how Winger isn’t metal. That’s so 1990.)
After first doing some catchup with Sweet Valley High and debating the alleged sincerity of Andrew WK, on this episode we dive deep into the rhetorical moshpit to discuss why we love the oft-maligned genre of heavy metal. We track the rise of metal nerds, which is a concept that would have been unthinkable in 1988, and try to parse out the limitless subgenres from death, thrash and speed to power and elf metal. Of course, Jenny and Paul also have to argue some about why Paul can’t quite accept power metal, even though he likes King Diamond and Manowar.
Not just for the metalheads.
- Andrew WK’s twitter is fun & earnest
- klout thinks Jenny is a Jack White expert
- Literary Disco reviews Sweet Valley High
- The Refused is led by a wonderful dancer
- Power Metal is Jenny’s favorite genre
- Elf Metal is a real term!
- Melodic Death Metal
- Al Jourgensen
- Black Metal crimes
- BBSes were before your time
- Meshuggah is math metal
- Mastodon are the Decemberists of metal!
- Red Fang are beardos
- Helloween were the fathers of power metal
- NWOBHM stands for the New Wave of British Heavy Metal
- Speed Metal is old skool & we like it
- Thrash Metal see above
- Manowar are American power metal
- The Dictators were punk rock that predated Manowar
- Death Metal has cookie monster vocals
- Rolling Stones Records is where Jenny bought CDs at 12
- PBS Rock & Roll documentary
- Headbangers Ball
- Maximum Rock n Roll
- Fangoria is THE horror movie magazine
- Goblin is an Italian prog rock band that soundtracks horror movies
- Handle with Care
- Peace Sells, But Who’s Buying?
- Garage Days Revisited is awesome. You youngsters get off my lawn.
- Al DiMeola
- Rap Metal is terrible
- Celtic Frost
- Cello Metal
- Eddie Trunk
- Municipal Waste
- Jenny has embarassed herself talking to Chuck Klosterman
- Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey is great
- Pitchfork will help you sleep with hipsters
- Isis & Pelican are hipster acceptable metal
- King Diamond’s Welcome Home Grandmaaaaaaaaaah
Power Metal recommendations from Jenny:
Rhapsody of Fire
Paul’s Show Pick: Gojira’s L’Efant Sauvage
Email us for YOUR gateways to metal!