With so many new, independent publishing platforms out there, from YouTube to podcasting, blogging to tumblr, why are people still so consumed with the standards of old media? Do some podcasters just want to get a TV series? Bloggers just want to get a book deal? It's not about selling out, it's about controlling your destiny.
But first, we get caught up on everything that's happened since episode #22, including Jenny's podcast cruise and Paul's foray's into Portland tech conferences.
- Jenny thinks everyone should know about Yakov
- Maximum Fun hosted the Atlantic Ocean Comedy & Music Festival
- Cameron Esposito is the future of comedy!
- Nelly Mckay is great
- Scott Simpson, John Darnielle, & John Roderick hugged Jenny
- Jesse Thorn was well dressed.
- The Bahamas are not the Caribbean, but don't drink the vodka.
- The JoCo Nerd Cruise is gigantic.
- Marc Maron would go insane on a boat.
- Paul went to MusicFest NW and xoxo
- Bumbershoot is an excellent Seattle music event. Even Jenny thinks so and she doesn't like Seattle.
- Hopscotch looks fairly cool.
- Comicon is a BIG DEAL
- PAX is the conference by the creators of Penny Arcade.
- Paul was involved in Indymedia. Jenny has been protested by them.
- The Long Tail!
- Squarespace is awesome & we use it (hi Little Ryan!)
- We love That Metal Show
- Howard Stern talks up Snapple
- Paul recommends Radio Unnameable
- Purchase your Internet Killed TV shirts here!
- Amy Goodman is the host of Democracy Now!
- Dave Allen is from Gang of Four
- Shit Your Pants! is a reference to WTF Podcast
THINGS WE LIKE:
Jenny: Welcome to Nightvale (listen in order)
Paul: Aardvark Hot Sauce